Friday, September 11, 2009

What I'm Reading Now.

I just finished Dead Until Dark. This is the first book in the Sookie Stackhouse novels, the books the HBO series True Blood is based on. The reason I picked up this book is my fourteen year old niece said she wanted to read it. My niece and I have a thing where I buy and read a book and then pass it on to her and then if they make a movie of the book we go see it. The last series we did this with was the Twilight series. I love that she is an avid reader and I love having long conversations with her about the books. My sister doesn't always love the arrangement, it seems like she objects to most of the books we read. But in the end we almost always convince her that the books are age appropriate. A part of me really thinks that people censor things from their kids too much. What harm can come from reading something that is a little spicy and dangerous? It makes the read just that much more exciting! That said, this is the first time I am NOT going to pass the book on. I just can't give my sweet little niece a book filled with murder, rape and child molestation. It is going to be hard to keep my cool aunt status after refusing to let her read a book, but I guess there is always a line and this book is it. Just because I don't think these books aren't good for a fourteen year old doesn't mean I don't think they are okay for me! I am already almost done with the second one.

No comments:

Post a Comment